Friday, February 27, 2009

TodaysMama: slow cookers make a comeback

I love my slow cooker, though I don't tell it that often enough. Actually, I don' t use it often enough. Every time I throw something in the slow cooker or try out a new recipe I think to myself, "Why don't I do this more often?" Usually the answer is because I don't think about putting something in there until 4:28pm, and by then it's way too late!

For today's food for thought friday I love this recent feature on TodaysMama, which highlights some Every Day with Rachael Ray recipes perfect for your slow cooker. The article has three tempting recipes: Turkey Meatballs in Paprika Tom
ato Sauce (don't try plating your dish on its side like the photo), Chianti-Braised Short Ribs and Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder. The one that tempts me the most is the turkey meatball one, so I've included it below. Enjoy!

Turkey Meatballs in Paprika Tomato Sauce
Photo by Sang An/Every Day with Rachael Ray
Serves: 6
Prep: 30 Min
Slow-Cook: 6 HR

Serve with spaghetti.

3 T extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
One 14.5-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
One 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
2 T paprika
Salt and pepper
1/2 c unseasoned breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 pounds ground dark meat turkey

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 7 minutes. Transfer 1 1/3 cups of the onion mixture to a large bowl; let cool. Reserve the skillet.

Using a food processor, puree the tomatoes and roasted peppers. Add the puree to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the paprika and season with salt and pepper; transfer to a large slow cooker, cover and set to low temperature.
Whisk the breadcrumbs, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into the remaining onion mixture. Mix in the turkey. Form 1 1/2-inch meatballs. Add the meatballs to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours.

Spaghetti

In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook 1 pound of spaghetti until al dente. Drain, return to the pot and toss with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Season with salt and black pepper.
"Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner." ~Sophia Loren

No comments: