Friday, December 5, 2008

tasty make-ahead breakfast casserole

Because I have our church holiday breakfast on my mind (34 hours and counting until it's over), today's food for thought friday recipe is one we're having people bring to the party. It is a very simple make-ahead dish, perfect for the crazy holiday season. My family loved it so much I think we'll serve it Christmas morning! (You can also make and bake it the same day...I know because I had to do so to test the recipe before passing it out to those who signed up!)

Thank you, Su
zanne, my awesome co-chair, for tweaking this so it fits in a 9"x13" pan. I couldn't have pulled off this party without you! Muah!

Suzanne's Easy Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole
8 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper (to taste)
2 1/4 c milk
1 tsp dry mustard
6 slices of bread, cubed
1 lb cubed cooked ham or sausage
2 c. grated sharp or medium cheddar cheese

Lightly grease a 9"x13" pan.Combine the eggs, milk, salt and mustard. Layer cubed bread in pan followed by ham and cheese. Pour egg mixture over layers. Refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Serve immediately.
Wish I had more yummy goodness to offer you all but I'm sapped. Full day tomorrow tying up last-minute party details and then setting up at 9pm. Wish me luck!
"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." --Lewis Carroll

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recipe - went to print it so I could make it and ended up with 10 pages of stuff - Is there any way for you to add a print button for just the recipe?

the girls of gt said...

I think if you go up to File at the top of your browser window, and then click on Print you should be able to choose just to print the first page or two. The option says Print page x to x. Hopefully that will work!