Wednesday, April 23, 2008

the gratitude campaign

Today's wonderful web wednesday comes from one of those few forwarded emails I actually read. I get a lot of forwarded jokes, videos, and urban legends and often delete them before ever opening them, but this one stood out and I'm glad I took the time to learn more about The Gratitude Campaign. What is The Gratitude Campaign? It is a simple way for you and I to say thank you to the soldiers serving our country:

For the past several years as I've been traveling around the country, I've been approaching soldiers in the airports and thanking them for serving for us. On several occasions I have noticed that it felt a little awkward for both of us. ... But they have always appreciated being thanked, and I have always felt better having expressed my gratitude.

I started to think that it would be nice if civilians had a gesture or sign that they could use to say "thank you" quickly and easily without even having to approach. I did some research and found the sign that we are now using. Is this limited to the military? Not at all. ...
The email I received had a link to a short yet moving video about The Gratitude Campaign and its "thank you" sign. You can view a short or full-length movie about The Gratitude Campaign or read detailed instructions on how to make the sign. I found it interesting that American Sign Language's current sign for "thank you" is actually a modified version of the one you will see in The Gratitude Campaign. I have to say, I like the original version best--a thank-you should always come from the heart. --Emily

It's a sign of mediocrity when you demonstrate gratitude with moderation.
--Roberto Benigni,
Newsweek

No comments: