Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Want to run a half marathon?

I've run one half marathon (Canyonlands Half Marathon) and one full marathon (Kona Marathon as part of an American Stroke Association fundraiser). That was back in, oh, 2002. I don't think I've run more than 3 miles at a time since then. I don't love running (I prefer weightlifting) but I do love setting goals, so my sister and I are planning to run the Hobble Creek Half Marathon in August. (Mom, you're with us in 2010!) Though she's getting up to 4+ miles, I'm still around 2 1/2 but I still have a few months to get up to speed distance.

Want to run a half marathon but don't know where to start? Try MORE magazine's Marathon/Half-Marathon training section. Though it is geared to the MORE | FITNESS Marathon + Half-Marathon, you can still find lots of wonderful advice, training schedules and other running resources. I like it because the site is geared toward women of all ages and experience.

Want to know what tunes might make your training go by a little faster? Try the playlist from Fitness magazine's article "The Half-Marathon Training Playlist." I honestly don't know over half those songs, and something new always make the time fly by (even if the scenery doesn't). You can also read "Running 101: A Beginner's Guide," a great list of running-related questions and answers.

Two other great sites are Runner's World and Road Runner Sports, for both advice and gear. You'll want to do your research, especially if you're new at the running thing, to avoid injury. I HIGHLY recommend going to a running store to get fitted for the proper running shoes. They make all the difference and are one of the best ways to avoid injury. The investment is more than worth it, I promise.

Most of all, have fun! And look forward to that sense of accomplishment you'll have once you cross the finish line.
--Emily

Question: Have you run a half or full marathon? How did you train? What worked for you? Did you enjoy the experience?

Photo via Fitness Magazine, "Training Guide: Running a Half-Marathon"

No comments: