Thursday, January 15, 2009

almost better than an SNL skit

What's hot for today's that's hot! thursday? It's the buzz about the recent interview with Vallese from the CPSC regarding the CPSIA. If you've been keeping an eye on the CPSIA issue via blog posts, news headlines or even Twitter than you've probably already heard about the "enlightening" WBAL TV interview with Vallese, (former) spokeswoman for the CPSC. If you haven't watched it yet, it's a must-see for even those not involved in the CPSIA issue.

After you've watched the video, perhaps you can tell me if I'm wrong when I say Vallese never really answered any of the questions asked during the interview. She talked and talked and talked but never said anything. She went from stating resellers of used children's products don't need to worry about testing to saying in not so many words (actually, many, many, many words) that testing may be the only way for a business owner to have the "level of confidence" she needs to sell those used products. By the way, the phrase for the day is "level of confidence" so wonderfully utilized throughout the second half of Vallese's interview.

I just wanted to say thank you to Vallese for clarifying the CPSIA for me. Now everything is crystal clear: The CPSC is just as confused as I am about the new legislation. Just as entertaining as the uncut interview are the various blog posts from those same "mommy bloggers" Vallese referred to so affectionately in her interview. You will find of my favorites listed below. Perhaps SNL should consider having Vallese host an upcoming show...

This is probably the first day in a long time I've smiled when talking about the CPSIA. Hopefully it won't be the last time. Better laughing than crying, right?!?! --Emily

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't take anything away from that interview except for more confusion than I had before on this legislation! She spoke in absolute circles. Very disheartening!

Amy said...

I laughed my way through it as well. I love how the interviewer asked how the resale shops would know if their item contained lead without testing and she said something like "well, you look at it." That's how I'm going to test my items from now on, lol.

Anonymous said...

UGH, what a mess...
Thanks for the post anyway!