Thursday, February 28, 2008

girl power!

I wasn't always a big fan of female singers. In high school my musical world consisted of bands like The Cure, REM, Erasure, Midnight Oil, INXS, Jesus Jones, Jane's Addiction, and countless one-hit wonders. The only female voice I can remember listening to was Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Over the past few years I've seen my taste in female singers grow (or is that mature?) and now my collection consists of some wonderfully talented voices with songs that help center me after a very long day. For thankful thursday I wanted to share with you those female artists for whom I'm most thankful!

  • Sara McLachlan--I don't think there's a CD I don't like by her!
  • Dido--Love her last two CDs and it looks like a new CD is coming out soon--yay! One of my fave songs is "Sand in My Shoes."
  • Natalie Merchant--good ol' 10,000 Maniacs; love "These Are the Days."
  • Norah Jones--Though her first CD is my favorite ("Come Away With Me" is one of my all-time favorite songs) her second one is pretty darn good too.
  • Sara Bereilles--They might overplay "Love Song" but the rest of the CD is worth a listen. My other favorite is "Fairytale."
  • Colbie Caillet--I'm sure you've heard "Bubbly" and "Realize" on the radio. I still don't get tired of these songs and Coco is a great CD.

Though my current CD collection is still male dominated (REM's coming out with a new CD in April!), it's a woman's voice that reminds me I too am a wonderful and talented woman. But aren't we all? --Emily

No comments: