Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Lifehacker--not just for techies!

Being married to a software engineer means I know a thing or two about tech-related stuff but there is so much I still don't know. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to make Slashdot my browser's start page, but I did adopt Mozilla Firefox long before most people. And though I understand the concept behind Linux I haven't yet taken the giant leap (at least for me) to transition my system to open source.

Confused? Don't worry. Today's wonderful web wednesday highlights a site for the tech expert and tech newbie alike. Lifehacker, an award-winning blog that offers "tech tricks, tips and downloads for getting things done," will teach you everything from how to read full magazines for free (with or without an iPhone) to using free tools to do more with your webcam. It's a blog all about software and personal productivity and get this--it publishes over 20 tips a day!

I'm all for taking advantage of tools (especially free ones) that help make my days more productive. Lifehacker's "tips, shortcuts, and downloads ... get things done smarter and more efficiently," which gives me more time with my family.

Gina Trapani, the site's editor, is a tech writer and web developer, Gina has authored two books based on this popular site. Her writing has appeared in a variety of magazines, from Popular Science to Women's Health, and her work has even been mentioned in Time Magazine, Newsweek, The New York Times, Wired and PC Magazine. Okay, so I don't love Lifehacker just because of the tech tips; a woman is the driving force behind it--that is SO cool!

If you're looking to control your PC with your voice (okay, that would be probably something my husband would read) or tools to help get your blogging done (now that's what I need), you'll find it at Lifehacker. Who knew technology could be so much fun! --Emily

No comments: